Disease Management DentistryOral and Maxillofacial Oncology and Surgical Sciences
As long as it is a part of the body, various tumors, including cancer, also occur in the maxillofacial and oral cavity regions. In particular, the oral and maxillofacial region is characterized by the occurrence of region-specific tumors due to the presence of teeth and salivary glands, which are components that are not found in other parts of the body. The Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Oncology and Surgical Sciences conducts clinical and basic research using cell biological, molecular biological, genetic, and pathological approaches in order to promote the diagnosis and treatment of these tumors. We aim to create new diagnostic and therapeutic methods as the outcome.
Furthermore, since the oral and maxillofacial region has important functional and morphological roles, we have a mission to promote surgical treatment and research that considers these roles in collaboration with the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Reconstructive Surgery and other fields.
Prof. Tsuyoshi Sugiura,
Topics of Research
- Development of non-invasive detection method for oral cancer in ultra-early stage
- Development of biomarker miRNAs related to development and metastasis of oral cancer
- Development of bedside genetic diagnostic method for oral cancer
- Isolation and analysis of circulating cancer cells in oral cancer
- Analysis and clinical application of lymph node metastasis mechanism of oral cancer
- Analysis of gene mutations in oral cancer and its application to treatment
- Analysis of relationship between oral microbiota and oral cancer/oral mucosal disease
- Analysis of relationship between oral microbiota and systemic cancer
- Development of non-invasive diagnostic and monitoring methods for Sjögren's syndrome
- Clinical research on treatment methods for oral cancer
- Protocol for a multicentre, prospective observational study of elective neck dissection for clinically node-negative oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma (END-TC study).
Souichi Yanamoto, Yasuyuki Michi, Mitsunobu Otsuru, Toru Inomata, Hideki Nakayama, Takeshi Nomura, Takumi Hasegawa, Yoshiko Yamamura, Shin-Ichi Yamada, Jingo Kusukawa, Nobuhiro Yamakawa, On Hasegawa, Michihiro Ueda, Yoshimasa Kitagawa, Akimitsu Hiraki, Toshihiro Hasegawa, Yoichi Ohiro, Wataru Kobayashi, Seiji Asoda, Takanori Kobayashi, Mitsuyoshi Iino, Masayuki Fukuda, Naomi Ishibashi-Kanno, Koji Kawaguchi, Reona Aijima, Kazuma Noguchi, Masaya Okura, Akira Tanaka, Tsuyoshi Sugiura, Yukari Shintani, Kazuhiro Yagihara, Masashi Yamashiro, Yoshihide Ota, Akihiro Miyazaki, Akinori Takeshita, Hitoshi Kawamata, Iwabuchi Hiroshi, Kenichiro Uchida, Masahiro Umeda, Hiroshi Kurita, Tadaaki Kirita
BMJ open 12(9) e059615 2022
- Exosome-Derived microRNAs from Mouthrinse Have the Potential to Be Novel Biomarkers for Sjögren Syndrome.
Kouta Yamashiro, Tomofumi Hamada, Kazuki Mori, Keitaro Nishi, Maya Nakamura, Mahiro Beppu, Akihiko Tanaka, Hiroshi Hijioka, Yoshiaki Kamikawa, Tsuyoshi Sugiura
Journal of personalized medicine 12(9) 2022
- Detecting Early-Stage Oral Cancer from Clinically Diagnosed Oral Potentially Malignant Disorders by DNA Methylation Profile.
Kazuki Mori, Tomofumi Hamada, Mahiro Beppu, Hiroki Tsuchihashi, Yuichi Goto, Kenichi Kume, Hiroshi Hijioka, Keitaro Nishi, Yumiko Mishima, Tsuyoshi Sugiura
Cancers 14(11) 2022
- Effects of immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy resumption in patients with malignant tumors after moderate-to-severe immune-related adverse events.
Machiko Kawahira, Shuji Kanmura, Keiko Mizuno, Kentaro Machida, Takao Ohtsuka, Masami Sato, Hideki Enokida, Masaru Yamashita, Takuro Kanekura, Shiho Arima, Norifumi Nakamura, Tsuyoshi Sugiura, Koji Yoshimoto, Hiroaki Kobayashi, Kenji Ishitsuka, Shinsuke Suzuki, Shinichi Ueno, Akio Ido
PloS one 17(4) e0267572 2022
- Relationship between Oral Hypofunction, and Protein Intake: A Cross-Sectional Study in Local Community-Dwelling Adults.
Keitaro Nishi, Hiroaki Kanouchi, Akihiko Tanaka, Maya Nakamura, Tomofumi Hamada, Yumiko Mishima, Yuichi Goto, Kenichi Kume, Mahiro Beppu, Hiroshi Hijioka, Hiroaki Tabata, Kazuki Mori, Yoshinori Uchino, Kouta Yamashiro, Yoshiaki Matsumura, Yutaro Higashi, Hyuma Makizako, Takuro Kubozono, Toshihiro Takenaka, Mitsuru Ohishi, Tsuyoshi Sugiura
Nutrients 13(12) 2021
- Colorectal Cancer Patients Have Four Specific Bacterial Species in Oral and Gut Microbiota in Common-A Metagenomic Comparison with Healthy Subjects.
Yoshinori Uchino, Yuichi Goto, Yusuke Konishi, Kan Tanabe, Hiroko Toda, Masumi Wada, Yoshiaki Kita, Mahiro Beppu, Shinichiro Mori, Hiroshi Hijioka, Takao Otsuka, Shoji Natsugoe, Eiji Hara, Tsuyoshi Sugiura
Cancers 13(13) 2021
- Association of Oral Hypofunction with Frailty, Sarcopenia, and Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Cross-Sectional Study of Community-Dwelling Japanese Older Adults.
Maya Nakamura, Tomofumi Hamada, Akihiko Tanaka, Keitaro Nishi, Kenichi Kume, Yuichi Goto, Mahiro Beppu, Hiroshi Hijioka, Yutaro Higashi, Hiroaki Tabata, Kazuki Mori, Yumiko Mishima, Yoshinori Uchino, Kouta Yamashiro, Yoshiaki Matsumura, Hyuma Makizako, Takuro Kubozono, Takayuki Tabira, Toshihiro Takenaka, Mitsuru Ohishi, Tsuyoshi Sugiura
Journal of clinical medicine 10(8) 2021
- Circulating microRNA Panel as a Potential Novel Biomarker for Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Diagnosis.
Kodai Nakamura, Naomi Hiyake, Tomofumi Hamada, Seiya Yokoyama, Kazuki Mori, Kouta Yamashiro, Mahiro Beppu, Yasuaki Sagara, Yoshiaki Sagara, Tsuyoshi Sugiura
Cancers 13(3) 2021
- Development of prediction models for the sensitivity of oral squamous cell carcinomas to preoperative S-1 administration.
Masashi Shiiba, Hitomi Yamagami, Tadashi Sudo, Yosuke Tomokuni, Daisuke Kashiwabara, Tadaaki Kirita, Jingo Kusukawa, Masamichi Komiya, Kanchu Tei, Yoshimasa Kitagawa, Yutaka Imai, Hitoshi Kawamata, Hiroki Bukawa, Kazuhito Satomura, Hidero Oki, Keiji Shinozuka, Kazumasa Sugihara, Tsuyoshi Sugiura, Joji Sekine, Hidetaka Yokoe, Kengo Saito, Hideki Tanzawa
Heliyon 6(8) e04601 2020
- Transfection of T-Box Transcription Factor BRACHYURY and SOX2 Synergistically Promote Self-Renewal and Invasive Phenotype in Oral Cancer Cells.
Naonari Akimoto, Kodai Nakamura, Hiroshi Hijioka, Kenichi Kume, Yoshiaki Matsumura, Tsuyoshi Sugiura
International journal of molecular sciences 19(11) 2018