Community Social DentistryPreventive Dentistry
Oral health means not only being free of oral diseases but also being able to perform proper oral functions. Basic oral functions such as eating, speaking and laughing are essential for fully expressing oneself and achieving self-realization. Preventive dentistry aims to help people lead a full-fledged life by keeping their oral conditions healthy and optimal so that they can maintain a wholesome life style throughout life.
The typical image of preventive dentistry has been that of preventing dental caries and periodontal diseases. From the overall perspective of systemic health, however, this only represents a fraction of the means of health promotion. Preventive dentistry integrates with the primary prevention (to be healthy and to prevent initial sickness), the secondary prevention (to prevent illness from getting worse) and the tertiary prevention (to recover and restore the original functions). Thus the philosophy of preventive dentistry is required for everyone who engages in oral health care and treatment.
The division of preventive dentistry investigates oral health and healthcare issues from the standpoint of individuals and communities as a whole.
Prof. Takeyoshi Koseki,
Topics of Research
- Oral environment control focusing on saliva, for prophylaxis of dental caries and periodontal disease
- Developing preventive measures for systemic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and aspiration pneumonia through maintaining oral health
- Research on halitosis (treatment and application for health education)
- Health management of oral mucosa under systemic medical intervention (prevention of cancer treatment-induced oral mucositis)
- Development of community based measures for oral health promotion
- Tanda N, Washio J, Kamei T, Akazawa K, Takahashi N, Koseki T(2019)
Professional Oral Care Reduces Carcinogenic Acetaldehyde Levels in Mouth Air of Perioperative Esophageal Cancer Patients: A Prospective Comparative Study
Tohoku J Exp Med. 2019 Sep;249(1):75-83. doi: 10.1620/tjem.249.75.
- Dodo M, Kitamura H, Shima H, Saigusa D, Wati SM, Ota N, Katsuoka F, Chiba H, Okae H, Arima T, Igarashi K, Koseki T, Sekine H, Motohashi H.(2019)
Lactate dehydrogenase C is required for the protein expression of a sperm-specific isoform of lactate dehydrogenase A
J Biochem. 2019 Apr 1;165(4):323-334.doi: 10.1093/jb/mvy108.
- Tanda N, Hoshikawa Y, Sato T, Takahashi N, Koseki T(2019)
Exhaled acetone and isoprene in perioperative lung cancer patients under intensive oral care: possible indicators of inflammatory responses and metabolic changes
Biomedical Research. 40 (2019) 29-36
- Dodo M, Kumagai M, Kato Y, Hirakawa H and Koseki T(2017)
Metastasis in the mandibular condyle: a case report.
Journal of Medical Case Report. 2017, 11:323,
- Tanda N, Hoshikawa Y, Ishida N, Sato T, Takahashi N, HosokawaR, Koseki T(2015)
Oral malodorous gases and oral microbiota: From halitosis to carcinogenesis
Journal of OralBiosciences／2015; 57: 175–178