Ecological DentistryPeriodontology and Endodontology
We focus on two major infectious oral diseases, periodontal diseases and endodontic diseases (pulp and apical periodontal tissue diseases). We are studying a mechanism of the onset and development of these chronic inflammatory diseases, and developing regenerative treatment for periodontal tissue and the pulp-dental complex.
In the recent years, it has been made clear that oral bacterial infections such as periodontal diseases can affect the systemic health. We try not only to develop effective diagnosis and treatment methods based on the onset mechanisms of these diseases, but also to research the regenerative medicine of periodontal tissue, which consists of soft and hard tissues, and the pulp-dentin complex. Our accomplishments so far have been reported in many prestigious international journals of not only dentistry but also of basic medical sciences.
We are responsible for the Departments of Periodontology and Endodontology at the Tohoku University Hospital Dental Division. We perform not only conduct clinical research and practice clinical trials, but also advanced medical treatment of periodontal and endodontic diseases. Our goal is establishing systemic health through oral health.
Prof. Satoru Yamada,
Associate Prof. Eiji Nemoto,
Topics of Research
- Molecular and Cellular Pathogenesis of Periodontal and Periapical Diseases
- Molecular Pathogenesis of Periodontal-Systemic Link
- Periodontal Regenerative Medicine
- Development of Diagnostic Strategies of Periodontal Disease
- Development of precise micro fabrication technology for producing biomaterials
- Pathophysiology of the Dental Pulp and Periodontium
- PPARγ-Induced Global H3K27 Acetylation Maintains Osteo/Cementogenic Abilities of Periodontal Ligament Fibroblasts. Yuan H, Suzuki S, Hirata-Tsuchiya S, Sato A, Nemoto E, Saito M, Shiba H, Yamada S. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 22(16) 2021.
- Mouse model of Loeys-Dietz syndrome shows elevated susceptibility to periodontitis via alterations in transforming growth factor-beta signaling. Yamada S, Tsushima K, Kinoshita M, Sakashita H, Kajikawa T, Fujihara C, Yuan H, Suzuki S, Morisaki T, Murakami S. Frontiers in Physiology 12 715687-715687 2021.
- DMP-1 promoter-associated antisense strand non-coding RNA, panRNA-DMP-1, physically associates with EGFR to repress EGF-induced squamous cell carcinoma migration. Suzuki S, Yuan H, Hirata-Tsuchiya S, Yoshida K, Sato A, Nemoto E, Shiba H, Yamada S. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 476(4) 1673-1690 2021.
- Mice lacking PLAP-1/asporin counteracts high fat diet-induced metabolic disorder and alveolar bone loss by controlling adipose tissue expansion. Sakashita H, Yamada S, Kinoshita M, Kajikawa T, Iwayama T, Murakami S. Scientific Reports 11(1) 4970-4970 2021.
- Evaluation of Preosteoblast MC3T3-E1 Cells Cultured on a Microporous Titanium Membrane Fabricated Using a Precise Mechanical Punching Process. Zhang J, Sakisaka Y, Ishihata H, Maruyama K, Nemoto E, Chiba S, Nagamine M, Hasegawa H, Yamada S. Materials (Basel, Switzerland) 13(22) 1-15 2020.
- A small nuclear acidic protein (MTI-II, Zn2+-binding protein, parathymosin) attenuates TNF-α inhibition of BMP-induced osteogenesis by enhancing accessibility of the Smad4-NF-κB p65 complex to Smad binding element. Hirata-Tsuchiya S, Suzuki S, Okamoto K, Saito N, Yuan H, Yamada S, Jimi E, Shiba H, Kitamura C. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 469(1-2) 133-142 2020.
- Dentin phosphoprotein inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced macrophage activation independent of its serine/aspartic acid-rich repeats. Nakanishi J, Suzuki S, Yoshida K, Hirata-Tsuchiya S, Haruyama N, Yamada S, Shiba H. Archives of Oral Biology 110 104634-104634 2020.
- Mechanical regulation of macrophage function - cyclic tensile force inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome-dependent IL-1β secretion in murine macrophages. Maruyama K, Nemoto E, Yamada S. Inflammation and Regeneration 39(1) 3-3 2019.
- Heparin–LL37 complexes are less cytotoxic for human dental pulp cells and have undiminished antimicrobial and LPS-neutralizing abilities. Yoshida K, Suzuki S, Kawada-Matsuo M, Nakanishi J, Hirata-Tsuchiya S, Komatsuzawa H, Yamada S, Shiba H. International Endodontic Journal 52(9) 1327-1343 2019.
- Cyclic Stretch Force Induces Periodontal Ligament Cells to Secrete Exosomes That Suppress IL-1β Production Through the Inhibition of the NF-κB Signaling Pathway in Macrophages. Wang Z, Maruyama K, Sakisaka Y, Suzuki S, Tada H, Suto M, Saito M, Yamada S, Nemoto E. Frontiers in Immunology 10 1310-1310 2019.
- Cyclic Stretch Negatively Regulates IL-1β Secretion Through the Inhibition of NLRP3 Inflammasome Activation by Attenuating the AMP Kinase Pathway. Maruyama K, Sakisaka Y, Suto M, Tada H, Nakamura T, Yamada S, Nemoto E. Frontiers in Physiology 9 802 2018.