Community Social DentistryOrthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
The department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics mainly focus on a basic research and treatment of malocclusion, cleft lip palate, congenital diseases, and orthognathic surgery cases.
In the recent years, remarkable progress occurred in the field of orthodontics with the advancement of technology and introduction of new biomedical materials. Clinical research topics in our department includes clinical evaluation of treatment effects usinfg miniscrews as orthodontic anchorage, the use of functional evaluation, treatment of sleep apnea syndrome, and creative clinical research of relationship between the facial aesthetics and brain functions. As for projects with a biological related studies, mechanisms of tooth movement and mechanical response in chondrocyted and osteocytes, stem cell differentiation and regeneration of tooth derived tissue, and regeneration of tooth bioengineered tooth germ are the main topics in our department. Our aim is to provide contributions to the development of safe and high quality medical care by merging the latest treatment technology and scientific findings into our current treatment.
In addition, we have established an advanced treatment techniques and a pioneer in developing and using miniscrews as orthodontic anchorage and orthpedic correction that is widely accepted among orthodontists all around the world. Many cases are treated by using lingual appliance that requires advanced technique in our clinic. We have been published numerous international journals, invited as international speaker, presented in many meetings and received many awards that contributes providing important information to other orthodontists.
Prof. Itaru Mizoguchi,
Associate Prof. Hideki Kitaura,
Topics of Research
- Development of temporary anchorage devices for orthodontic treatment
- Study on the relationship between malocclusion and orofacial function
- 3D simulation of surgical orthodontic treatment
- Clarification of biomolecular mechanism of orthodontic tooth movement
- Clarification of biomolecular mechanism of craniofacial development
- Clarification of responses of osteocytes, periodontal tissue cells and chondrocytes against mechanical stress
- Development of orthodontic materials
- Clarification of regulatory mechanism in endochondral ossification
- Development of acceleration techniques of orthodontic tooth movement with physical stimulation
- Study on responses of temporomandibular joint tissue against mechanical stress
- Kitaura H, et al. Osteocyte-related cytokines regulate osteoclast formation and bone resorption. Int J Mol Sci 21;21(14):5169, 2020.
- Marahleh A, et al. Obtaining primary osteocytes through murine calvarial fractionation of GFP-expressing osteocytes. J Vis Exp 2;(160), 2020.
- Noguchi T, et al. TNF-α stimulates the expression of RANK during orthodontic tooth movement. Arch Oral Biol 117:104796, 2020.
- Ohori F, et al. IL-33 Inhibits TNF-α-Induced osteoclastogenesis and bone resorption. Int J Mol Sci 21(3):1130, 2020.
- Aonuma T, et al. Delayed tooth movement in Runx2+/- mice associated with mTORC2 in stretch-induced bone formation. Bone Rep 12:100285, 2020.
- Nara Y, et al. Anti-c-fms antibody prevents osteoclast formation and bone resorption in co-culture of osteoblasts and osteoclast precursors in vitro and in ovariectomized mice. Int J Mol Sci 25;21(17):6120, 2020
- Qi A, et al. Effect of a DPP-4 inhibitor on orthodontic tooth movement and associated root resorption. Biomed Res Int 18;2020:7189084, 2020.
- Seiryu M, Ida H, Mayama A, Sasaki S, Sasaki S, Deguchi T, Takano-Yamamoto T/A comparative assessment of orthodontic treatment outcomes of milder skeletal Class III malocclusion between facemask and facemask in combination with a miniscrew in growing patients: a single-center, prospective randomized controlled trial. Angle Orthod 90(1):3-12, 2020.
- Kameda M, Abiko Y, Washio J, Tanner ACR, Kressirer CA, Mizoguchi I, Takahashi N. Sugar Metabolism of Scardovia wiggsiae, a Novel Caries-Associated Bacterium. Front Microbio, doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.00479. eCollection 2020., 2020.
- Kawaguchi K, Iijima M, Muguruma T, Endo K, Mizoguchi I. Effects of bioactive glass coating by electrophoretic deposition on esthetical, bending, and frictional performance of orthodontic stainless steel wire. Dent Mater J, doi: 10.4012/dmj.2019-085, Epub ahead of print, 2020.
- Ohori F, Kitaura H, Ogawa S, Shen WR, Qi J, Noguchi T, Marahleh A, Nara Y, Pramusita A, Mizoguchi I. IL-33 inhibits TNF-α-induced osteoclastogenesis and bone resorption. Int J Mol Sci 8;21(3). pii: E1130, 2020.
- Bando K, Kuroishi T, Sugawara S, Endo Y: Interleukin-1 and histamine are essential for inducing nickel-allergy in mice. Clin Exp Allergy. 49(10):1362-1373, 2019.
- Marahleh A, Kitaura H, Ohori F, Kishikawa A, Ogawa S, Shen WR, Qi J, Noguchi T, Nara Y, Mizoguchi I. TNF-α directly enhances osteocyte RANKL expression and promotes osteoclast formation. Front Immunol 13;10:2925, 2019.
- Ogawa S, Kitaura H, Kishikawa A, Qi J, Shen WR, Ohori F, Noguchi T, Marahleh A, Nara Y, Ochi Y, Mizoguchi I. TNF-α is responsible for the contribution of stromal cells to osteoclast and odontoclast formation during orthodontic tooth movement. PLoS One 16;14(10):e0223989, 2019.
- Ohori F, Kitaura H, Marahleh A, Kishikawa A, Ogawa S, Qi J, Shen WR, Noguchi T, Nara Y, Mizoguchi I. Effect of TNF- α-induced sclerostin on osteocytes during orthodontic tooth movement. J Immunol Res 24;2019:9716758, 2019.
- Qi J, Kitaura H, Shen WR, Kishikawa A, Ogawa S, Ohori F, Noguchi T, Marahleh A, Nara Y, Mizoguchi I. Establishment of an orthodontic retention mouse model and the effect of anti-c-Fms antibody on orthodontic relapse. PLoS One 19;14(6):e0214260, 2019.
- Kishikawa A, Kitaura H, Kimura K, Ogawa S, Qi J, Shen WR, Ohori F, Noguchi T, Marahleh A, Nara Y, Ichimura A, Mizoguchi I. Docosahexaenoic AcidInhibits Inflammation-Induced Osteoclast Formation and Bone Resorption in vivo Through GPR120 by Inhibiting TNF-α Production in Macrophages and irectly Inhibiting Osteoclast Formation. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 15;10:157, 2019.
- Marahleh A, Kitaura H, Ishida M, Shima K, Kishikawa A, Ogawa S, Shen WR, Qi J, Ohori F, Noguchi T, Nara Y, Mizoguchi I. Effect of anti-c-fms antibody on osteoclast formation and proliferation of osteoclast precursor in vitro. J Vis Exp 18:145, 2019.
- Ishida M, Shen WR, Kimura K, Kishikawa A, Shima K, Ogawa S, Qi J, Ohori F, Noguchi T, Marahleh A, Kitaura H. DPP-4 inhibitor impedes lipopolysaccharide-induced osteoclast formation and bone resorption in vivo. Biomed Pharmacother 109:242-253, 2019.
- Sakamoto M, Fukunaga T, Sasaki K, Seiryu M, Yoshizawa M, Takeshita N, Takano-Yamamoto T. Vibration enhances osteoclastogenesis by inducing RANKL expression via NF-κB signaling in osteocytes. Bone 123:56-66, 2019.
- Iijima M, Ishikawa R, Kawaguchi K, Ito S, Saito T, Mizoguchi I. Effects of pastes containing ion-releasing particles on dentin remineralization. Dent Mater J 31;38:271-277, 2019.
- Ida H, Seiryu M, Takeshita N, Iwasaki M, Yokoyama Y, Tsutsumi Y, Ikeda E, Sasaki S, Miyashita S, Sasaki S, Fukunaga T, Deguchi T, Takano-Yamamoto T. Biosafety, stability, and osteogenic activity of novel implants made of Zr70Ni16Cu6Al8 bulk metallic glass for biomedical application. Acta Biomater 74:505–517, 2018.
- Sugisawa H, Kitaura H, Ueda K, Kimura K, Ishida M, Ochi Y, Kishikawa A, Ogawa S, Takano-Yamamoto T. Corrosion resistance and mechanical properties of titanium nitride plating on orthodontic wires. Dent Mater J 37(2):286–292, 2018.
- Matsuzawa H, Toriya N, Nakao Y, Konno-Nagasaka M, Arakawa T, Okayama M, Mizoguchi I. Cementocyte cell death occurs in rat cellular cementum during orthodontic tooth movement. Angle Orthod 87(3):416–422, 2018.
- Takano-Yamamoto T, Sasaki K, Fatemeh G, Fukunaga T, Seiryu M, Daimaruya T, Takeshita N, Kamioka H, Adachi T, Ida H, Mayama A. Synergistic acceleration of experimental tooth movement by supplementary high-frequency vibration applied with a static force in rats. Sci Rep 7(1):13969, 2017.
- Bando K, Tanaka Y, Kuroishi T, Sasaki K, Takano-Yamamoto T, Sugawara S, Endo Y. Mouse model of hydroquinone hypersensitivity via innate and acquired immunity and its promotion by combined reagents. J Invest Dermatol 137(5):1082–1093, 2017.
- Shima K, Tsuchiya M, Oizumi T, Takano-Yamamoto T, Sugawara S, Endo Y. Inflammatory Effects of nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates (N-BPs): Modulation by non-N-BPs. Biol Pharm Bull 40(1):25-33, 2017.
- Takano-Yamamoto T, Fukunaga T, Takeshita N. Gene expression analysis of CCN protein in bone under mechanical stress. Methods Mol Biol 1489:283–308, 2017.
- Takeshita N, Hasegawa M, Sasaki K, Seki D, Seiryu M, Miyashita S, Takano I, Oyanagi T, Miyajima Y, Takano-Yamamoto T. In vivo expression and regulation of genes associated with vascularization during early response of sutures to tensile force. J Bone Miner Metab 35(1):40–51, 2017.
- Saeed J, Kitaura H, Kimura K, Ishida M, Sugisawa H, Ochi Y, Kishikawa A, Takano-Yamamoto T. IL-37 inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced osteoclast formation and bone resorption in vivo. Immunol Lett 175: 8–15, 2016.
- Shima K, Nemoto W, Tsuchiya M, Tan-No K, Takano-Yamamoto T, Sugawara S, Endo Y. The bisphosphonates clodronate and etidronate exert analgesic effects by acting on glutamate- and/or ATP-related pain transmission pathways. Biol Pharm Bull 39(5):770–777, 2016.
- Kinbara M, Bando K, Shiraishi D, Kuroishi T, Nagai Y, Ohtsu H, Takano-Yamamoto T, Sugawara S, Endo Y. Mast cell histamine-mediated transient inflammation following exposure to nickel promotes nickel allergy in mice. Exp Dermatol 25(6):466–471, 2016.
- Yoshida M, Hata K, Takashima R, Ono K., Nakamura E, Takahata Y, Murakami T, Iseki S, Takano-Yamamoto T, Nishmura R, Yoneda T. The transcription factor Foxc1 is necessary for Ihh-Gli2-regulated endochondral ossification. Nat Commun 26(6):6653, 2015.
- Ishida M, Kitaura H, Kimura K, Sugisawa H, Aonuma T, Takada H, Takano-Yamamoto T. Muramyl dipeptide enhances lipopolysaccharide-induced osteoclast formation and bone resorption through increased RANKL expression in stromal cells. J Immunol Res (Clin Dev Immunol), Article ID 132765, 12 pages, 2015.
- Hakami ZW, Kitaura H, Kimura K, Ishida M, Sugisawa H, Ida H, Takano-Yamamoto T. Effect of Interleukin-4 on orthodontic tooth movement and associated root resorption. Eur J Orthod 37(1):87–94, 2015.
- Deguchi T, Seiryu M, Daimaruya T, Garetto LP, Takano-Yamamoto T, Roberts WE. Decreased alveolar bone turnover is related to the occurrence of root resorption during experimental tooth movement in dogs. Angle Orthod 85(3):386–393, 2015.
- Nakao Y, Konno-Nagasaka M, Toriya N, Arakawa T, Kashio H, Takuma T, Mizoguchi I. Proteoglycan expression is influenced by mechanical load in TMJ discs. J Dent Res 94(1):93–100, 2015.