Disease Management DentistryOral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Functions of jaw and mouth such as digestion, swallowing, pronunciation, and the taste, are the most important fuctions of human beings. Furthermore, a part of facial configuration is constituted and expression of the person's individuality is influenced greatly.
In the oral and maxillofacial area, various diseases such as facial trauma, inflammation, cysts, tumors, developmental abnormality, salivary-glands diseases, temporomandibular joint diseases could occur.
These diseases causes serious obstacle for functions of jaw and mouth.
In our division, we study researches on the diagnostic method and treatment modalities of such diseases, and perform the surgical reconstruction of the functions and morphologis of oral and maxillofacial area. For the time being, Division of maxillofacial surgery and Division of Oral Surgery unified the division from this April, and it carried out the new start as Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
It aims at becoming a clinical center of functional and morphological reconstruction of oral and maxillofacial area and “Mecca” of translational research..
Topics of Research
- Research on morphological and functional reconstruction in the oral and maxillofacial area.
- Research on bone augmentation using distraction osteogenesis and periosteal expansion.
- Research on pathophysiology of temporomandibular joint disorders.
- Basic and Clinical research on bone substitute.
- Research on control of growth and invasion, and surgical reconstruction of oral tumors.
- Kodama T, Tomita N, Yagishita Y, Horie S, Funamoto K, Hayase T, Sakamoto M, Mori S: Volumetric and angiogenic evaluation of antitumor effects with acoustic liposome and high-frequency ultrasound. Cancer Res71:6957-6964,2011.
- Tanuma Y, Anada T, Honda Y, Kawai T, Kamakura S, Echigo S, Suzuki O. Granule SizeDependent Bone Regenerative Capacity of Octacalcium Phosphate in Collagen Matrix. Tissue Engineering Part A. 2012,18(5-6):546-557.
- Horie S, Watanabe Y, Ono M, Mori S, Kodama T. Evaluation of anti-tumor effects following tumor necrosis factor-alpha gene delivery using nanobubbles and ultrasound. Cancer Sci 102: 2082-2089, 2011.
- Kawai T, Matsui K, Iibuchi S, Anada T, Honda Y, Sasaki K, Kamakura S, Suzuki O, Echigo S：Reconstruction of critical-sized bone defect in dog skull by octacalcium phosphate combined with collagen. Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research 13(2): 112-123 2011.
- Tanaka K, Goto T, Miyazaki T, Morita Y, Kobayashi S, Takahashi T: Apatite-coated hyaluronan for bone regeneration. J Dental Research 2011; 90: 906-911.