Disease Management DentistryDento-oral Anesthesiology
The mission of the Department of Dento-oral Anesthesiology is to become a premier center of clinical and translational research for dental anesthesiology.
Exploring Novel Therapeutic Targets for Bronchospasm, Asthma and COPD:
Peri-operative bronchospasm remains a clinical problem for the anesthesiologist due in part to inadequate therapies for controlling airway smooth muscle tone. Our main area of research interests is in the identification of novel therapeutic targets (GPCRs) of bronchospasm and asthma, and understanding of their signal transduction pathways. Our department has collaborated with Columbia University Department of Anesthesiology over 15 years.
Exploring Novel Therapeutic Strategies for Orofacial Pain:
We investigate the pathogenesis of orofacial pain using in vivo Ca2+ imaging and qAIM-MRI.
Development of Robotic Anesthesia System:
We develop AI-assisted closed-loop anesthesia system corroborated with graduate school of Technology.
Development of Novel Therapies for Allergic and Autoimmune Diseases.
To develop novel therapies of allergic and autoimmune diseases, we investigate new strategies to expand regulatory T cells and explores the regulatory mechanisms of histamine production and its function.
Prof. Kentaro Mizuta,
Associate Prof. Hiroshi Hoshijima,
Topics of Research
- Obesity-induced asthma
- GPCRs-mediated bronchospasm and asthma
- Contribution of oral and gut microbiota on pathogenesis of asthma
- Research on parasympathetic reflex vasodilatation in orofacial area
- Sasaki H, Zhang Y, Emala CW Sr, and Mizuta K. Melatonin MT2 receptor is expressed and potentiates contraction in human airway smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 321(6): L991-L1005, 2021.
- Hoshijima H, Higuchi H, Sato Boku A, Shibuya M, Morimoto Y, Fujisawa T, and Mizuta K. Patient satisfaction with deep versus light/moderate sedation for non-surgical procedures: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine (Baltimore). 100(36): e27176, 2021.
- Sasaki H, Hoshijima H, Mizuta K. Ringer's acetate solution-induced precipitation of remimazolam. Br J Anaesth. 126(3): e87-e89, 2021.
- Bando K, Kuroishi T, Tada H, Oizumi T, Tanaka Y, Takahashi T, Mizoguchi I, Sugawara S, Endo Y. Nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates and lipopolysaccharide mutually augment inflammation via adenosine triphosphate (ATP)-mediated and interleukin 1β (IL-1β)-mediated production of neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs). J Bone Miner Res. 36(9):1866-1878, 2021.
- Hung LY, Tanaka Y, Herbine K, Pastore C, Singh B, Ferguson A, Vora N, Douglas B, Zullo K, Behrens EM, Li Hui Tan T, Kohanski MA, Bryce P, Lin C, Kambayashi T, Reed DR, Brown BL, Cohen NA, Herbert DR. Cellular context of IL-33 expression dictates impact on anti-helminth immunity. Sci Immunol. 5(53): eabc6259, 2021.
- Maekawa M, Yasuda M, Sasaki H, Tachinami Y, Mizuta K. Anesthetic management of a patient with ring 18 syndrome. Anesth Prog. 68(3): 178-179, 2021.
- Hoshijima H, Takeuchi R, Kikuchi K, Mizuta K. Asystole Triggered by the mouth opening with a dental mouth gag under general anesthesia during pediatric oral surgery: report of a rare case. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 79(9):1862-1865, 2021.
- Hoshijima H, Mihara T, Denawa Y, Shiga T, Mizuta K. Comparison of Hemodynamic responses to administration of vasopressin and norepinephrine under general anesthesia: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials with trial sequential analysis. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 35(1):61-69, 2021.
- Hoshijima H, Takeuchi R, Kikuchi K, Mizuta K. Anesthetic management in MAO-A and MAO-B deficiency: a case report. J Anesth. 34(5):773-776, 2020.
- Mizuta K, Sasaki H, Zhang Y, Matoba A, Emala CW Sr. The short-chain free fatty acid receptor FFAR3 is expressed and potentiates contraction in human airway smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 318(6): L1248-L1260, 2020.
- Mizuta K, Matoba A, Shibata S, Masaki E, Emala CW Sr. Obesity-induced asthma: Role of free fatty acid receptors. Jpn Dent Sci Rev. 55(1): 103-107, 2019.
- Matoba A, Matsuyama N, Shibata S, Masaki E, Emala CW, and Mizuta K. The free fatty acid receptor 1 promotes airway smooth muscle cell proliferation through MEK/ERK and PI3K/Akt signaling pathways. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 314(3): L333-L348, 2018.
- Matsuyama N, Shibata S, Matoba A, Kudo T, Danielsson J, Kohjitani A, Masaki E, Emala CW, and Mizuta K: The dopamine D1 receptor is expressed and induces CREB phosphorylation and MUC5AC expression in human airway epithelium. Respir Res. 19(1): 53, 2018.
- Hoshijima H, Mihara T, Maruyama K, Denawa Y, Mizuta K, Shiga T, and Nagasaka H. C-MAC videolaryngoscope versus Macintosh laryngoscope for tracheal intubation: a systematic review and meta-analysis with trial sequential analysis. J Clin Anesth, 49: 53-62, 2018.
- Hoshijima H, Takeuchi R, Mihara T, Kuratani N, Mizuta K, Wajima Z, Masaki E, and Shiga T. Weekend versus weekday admission and short-term mortality: A meta-analysis of 88 cohort studies including 56,934,649 participants. Medicine (Baltimore), 96: e6685, 2017.
- Masaki E, Mizuta K, Ohtani N, and Kido K.: Early postoperative nociceptive threshold and production of brain-derived neurotrophic factor induced by plantar incision are not influenced with minocycline in a rat: role of spinal microglia. Neurosignals., 24(1): 15-24, 2016.
- Mizuta K, Zhang Y, Mizuta F, Hoshijima H, Shiga T, Masaki E, and Emala CW. Novel identification of the free fatty acid receptor FFAR1 that promotes contraction in airway smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 309(9): L970-L982, 2015.
- Mizuta K, Zhang Y, Xu D, Mizuta F, D’Ovidio F, Masaki E, and Emala CW. The dopamine D1 receptor is expressed and facilitates relaxation in airway smooth muscle. Respir. Res. 14:89, 2013.
- Mizuta K, Zhang Y, Xu D, Masaki E, Panettieri RA Jr., and Emala CW. The dopamine D2 receptor is expressed and sensitizes adenylyl cyclase activity in airway smooth muscle. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol., 302(3):L316-324, 2012.
- Kawakami S, Izumi H, Masaki E, Kuchiiwa S, and Mizuta K. Role of medullary GABA signal transduction on parasympathetic reflex vasodilatation in the lower lip. Brain Res., 1437:26-37, 2012.
- Izumi H, Ishii H, and Mizuta K. Anterior hypothalamic inhibition of reflex parasympathetic vasodilatation in the lower lip and palate of anaesthetized cats. Dent. J. Health., 30(2): 43-52, 2011.
- Mizuta K, Mizuta F, Xu D, Masaki E, Panettieri RA Jr., and Emala CW. Gi-coupled γ-aminobutyric acid-B receptors cross-regulate phospholipase C and calcium in airway smooth muscle. Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol., 45(6):1232-1238, 2011.