Disease Management DentistryDental Informatics and Radiology
In April 2020, the name of our division was changed from “Oral Diagnosis” to “Dental Informatics and Radiology” in response to the recent diversification of medical imaging modalities and advanced utilization of medical informatics. In recent years, dental imaging has advanced from two-dimensional X-ray imaging, such as intraoral or panoramic imaging, to three-dimensional digital imaging, such as dental CT and intraoral scanning. Various medical support systems are being developed using these digital technologies. We hope to contribute to equalizing high-quality dental care through the development of new dental imaging devices and the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and remote communication technology in medical informatics.
In our division, the diagnostic imaging using CT, MRI, US, and Nuclear medicine are mainly performed. Various supports for dental treatment using imaging data such as implant simulation are also provided. In addition, oral management for patients with systemic diseases in collaboration with the Division of Perioperative Oral Health Management.
Regarding research, we are developing new medical devices in collaboration with other faculties and researching on improving diagnostic accuracy for oral and maxillofacial diseases using the latest imaging devices or AI.
For information on our other research, please see below.
Prof. Masahiro Iikubo,
Topics of Research
- Development of new medical devices.
- Imaging diagnosis of oral and maxillofacial lesions.
- Relationship between systemic diseases and oral conditions.
- Shimada Y, Kojima I, Nishioka T, Sakamoto M, Iikubo M. Root canal narrowing patterns of mandibular first premolars on panoramic radiographs according to the number of root canals diagnosed on cone beam computed tomographic images. Odontology. 2023 Jan;111(1):172-177.doi: 10.1007/s10266-022-00713-9.
- Kojima I, Takanami K, Ogawa T, Ishikawa K, Morishita Y, Ishii R, Ohkoshi A, Nakanome A, Odagiri H, Iikubo M. High diagnostic accuracy for lymph node metastasis of oral squamous cell carcinoma using PET/CT with a silicon photomultiplier. Oral Radiol. 2022 Oct;38(4):540-549. doi: 10.1007/s11282-022-00588-0.
- Yokoyama-Sato Y, Nishioka T, Naganuma Y, Takahashi M, Nakagawa A, Yoda N, Sasaki K, Takahashi N, Tominaga T, Iikubo M. Effectiveness of an actuator-driven pulsed water jet for removal of softened carious dentin. Dent Mater J. 2022 Jul 30;41(4):527-533. doi: 10.4012/dmj.2021-234.
- Hihara H, Izumita K, Iwatsu M, Sato T, Tagaino R, Shobara K, Shinohara Y, Hatakeyama T, Kayaba C, Sato M, Tokue A, Sugawara T, Ashino K, Ikeda K, Aida J, Sasaki K. Clinical Trial for Evaluating the Effectiveness and Safety of a New Dental Plaque Removal Device: Microscale Mist Unit. Antibiotics (Basel). 2022 Jun 19;11(6):825. doi: 10.3390/antibiotics11060825.
- Sakamoto M, Kojima I, Iikubo M, Ito K, Aoki T, Mori S, Ogawa T, Katori Y, Murata T, Ito D, Kodama T. Perfusion defects in non-enlarged metastatic lymph nodes using vessel wall magnetic resonance imaging: detection performance and diagnostic value. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2022 Jun;39(3):421-431. doi: 10.1007/s10585-022-10147-w.
- Suenaga H, Aida J, Kumasaka A, Shibamoto A, Sato S, Shinohara Y, Hatakeyama T, Yamaguchi H, Sasaki K, Takahashi T, Koseki T, Peck C, Iikubo M. Impact of dental referral prior to elective surgery on postoperative outcomes. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2022 Apr 23. 638-645. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2022.01.071.
- Suenaga H, Iikubo M, Tamahara T, Dodo M, Peck C, Koseki T, Harigae H, Sasaki K. Dental care using an oral appliance to support hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for NK/T cell lymphoma, nasal type, with palatal perforation. J Prosthodont Res. 2022 Apr 27;66(2):353-356. doi: 10.2186/jpr.JPR_D_20_00270.
- Koyama S, Izumita K, Sato N, Tagaino R, Hatakeyama T, Shiraishi N, Yoda N, Igarashi K, Takahashi T, Sasaki K. Medical-Dental Collaboration and Interprofessional Training for Maxillofacial Diseases at Tohoku University Hospital. Tohoku J Exp Med. 2022 Mar;256(3):225-234. doi: 10.1620/tjem.256.225.
- Tanaka A, Shoji N, Kojima I, Kumasaka A, Sakamoto M, Sasaki K, Fukunaga T, Mizoguchi I, Tominaga T, Iikubo M.A Comparative study on cephalometric differences in maxillofacial morphology between skeletal class III cases with and without Acromegaly. Oral Radiol. 2022;38(2):224-233. doi: 10.1007/s11282-021-00548-0.
- Shimada Y, Kojima I, Iikubo M. Comparative Study of Multiple High-Signal-Intensity Spots on 3D and 2D Magnetic Resonance Sialography for Patients with Sjögren's Syndrome. Radiol Res Pract. 2021 Dec 26;2021:5846637. doi: 10.1155/2021/5846637. eCollection 2021.