Disease Management DentistryDental Informatics and Radiology
In April 2020, the name of our division was changed from “Oral Diagnosis” to “Dental Informatics and Radiology” in response to the recent diversification of medical imaging modalities and advanced utilization of medical informatics. In recent years, dental imaging has advanced from two-dimensional X-ray imaging, such as intraoral or panoramic imaging, to three-dimensional digital imaging, such as dental CT and intraoral scanning. Various medical support systems are being developed using these digital technologies. We hope to contribute to equalizing high-quality dental care through the development of new dental imaging devices and the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and remote communication technology in medical informatics.
In our division, the diagnostic imaging using CT, MRI, US, and Nuclear medicine are mainly performed. Various supports for dental treatment using imaging data such as implant simulation are also provided. In addition, oral management for patients with systemic diseases in collaboration with the Perioperative Oral Health Management Department and diagnosis and treatment for oral diseases such as taste disorders and xerostomia in collaboration with the Oral Medicine Liaison Center are provided.
Regarding research, we are developing new medical devices in collaboration with other faculties and researching on improving diagnostic accuracy for oral and maxillofacial diseases using the latest imaging devices or AI.
For information on our other research, please see below.
Prof. Masahiro Iikubo,
Associate Prof. Noriaki Shoji,
Topics of Research
- Development of new medical devices.
- Imaging diagnosis of oral and maxillofacial lesions.
- Relationship between systemic diseases and oral conditions.
- The effectiveness of an actuator-driven pulsed water jet for the removal of artificial dental calculus: a preliminary study. Sato Y, Iikubo M, Nishioka T, Yoda N, Kusunoki T, Nakagawa A, Sasaki K, Tominaga T. BMC Oral Health. 2020 Jul 13;20(1): 205. doi: 10.1186/s12903-020-01190-8.
- High detection sensitivity and reliable morphological correlation of PET with a silicon photomultiplier for primary tongue squamous cell carcinoma. Kojima I, Takanami K, Ogawa T, Sakamoto M, Nagai H, Miyashita H, Iikubo M. Ann Nucl Med. 2020 Sep;34(9):643-652.
- Florid Cemento-osseous Dysplasia-associated Simple Bone Cyst Showing Marked Irregular Border and High Apparent Diffusion Coefficient Value. Kojima I, Nishioka T, Sakamoto M, Sai Y, Ezoe Y, Iikubo M, Kumamoto H, Takahashi T. Case Rep Dent. 2020 Sep 21;2020:8854428. doi: 10.1155/2020/8854428. eCollection 2020.
- Taste alterations in patients with breast cancer following chemotherapy: a cohort study. Denda Y, Niikura N, Satoh-Kuriwada S, Yokoyama K, Terao M, Morioka T, Tsuda B, Okamura T, Ota Y, Tokuda Y, Sasano T, Shoji N. Breast Cancer. 2020 Sep;27(5):954-962.
- Influence of bone condition on implant placement accuracy with computer-guided surgery. Putra RH, Yoda N, Iikubo M, Kataoka Y, Yamauchi K, Koyama S, Cooray U, Astuti ER, Takahashi T, Sasaki K. Int J Implant Dent. 2020 Sep 20;6(1):62. doi: 10.1186/s40729-020-00249-z.
- Clinical utility of apparent diffusion coefficient and diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging for resectability assessment of head and neck tumors with skull base invasion. Ogawa T, Kojima I, Wakamori S, Yoshida T, Murata T, Sakamoto M, Ohkoshi A, Nakanome A, Endo H, Endo T, Usubuchi H, Katori Y. Head Neck. 2020 Oct;42(10):2896-2904.
- Effect of exposure parameters and gutta-percha cone size on fracture-like artifacts in endodontically treated teeth on cone-beam computed tomography images. Iikubo M, Kagawa T, Fujisawa J, Kumasaka A, Nishioka T, Kojima I, Sakamoto M, Kobayashi K, Yuasa K. Oral Radiol. 2020 Oct;36(4):344-348.
- Influence of oestrogen deficiency and excessive mechanical stress on condylar head of mandible. Nogami S, Yamaucchi K, Odashima K, Ito K, Iikubo M, Kumasaka A, Martinez-de la Cruz G, Gaggl A, Kumamoto H, Takahashi T. Oral Dis. Nov 26(8): 1718-1726, 2020.
- Intranodal pressure of a metastatic lymph node reflects the response to lymphatic drug delivery system. Kato S, Takeda K, Sukhbaatar A, Sakamoto M, Mori S, Shiga K, Kodama T. Cancer Sci. 2020;111(11):4232-4241.
- Nicotine exposure potentiates lung tumorigenesis by perturbing cellular surveillance. Zhang Q, Ganapathy S, Avraham H, Nishioka T, Chen C. Br J Cancer. 2020 Mar;122(6):904-911.
- Sensory neurons in the human jugular ganglion. Atsumi K, Yajima T, Tachiya D, Kokubun S, Shoji N, Sasano T, Ichikawa H, Sato T. Tissue Cell. 2020 Jun;64:101344. doi: 10.1016/j.tice.2020.101344. Epub 2020 Feb 9.