Rehabilitation DentistryCraniofacial Function Engineering
In the field of Craniofacial Function Engineering, we explore regenerative medicine, biological material science and tissue engineering. We study the mechanism of biomineralization in bones and teeth through research at the very boundary between engineering and dentistry. We also research alternatives to autogenous bone grafting, such as new bone regeneration materials and regeneration therapy.
More specifically, basing our research on materials science, chemistry, engineering and biology, we concentrate on the following themes of biomaterial fabrication and tissue regeneration for regeneration of bone defects (including oral and maxillofacial region): . (1)Bone regeneration on the molecular, cellular and tissue levels using octacalcium phosphate (OCP). (2)Mechanical stress impact on local control on the cellular and tissue level. (3)Development of new methods for drug delivery for bone disease treatment and bone regeneration. In regards to OCP research, we were devised the world's first stable method of OCP synthesis and were the first to discover bone regeneration ability of OCP (Suzuki O et al. Tohoku J Exp Med 164:37-50, 1991). As a field leading the world in pioneering bone regeneration research, we shall continue to do everything we can to improve the present state of medical treatment.
Prof. Osamu Suzuki,
Topics of Research
- Bone regeneration using self-organising octacalcium phosphate (OCP) to hydroxyapatite.
- Surface topographic design of metal implants to yield higher mechanical adaptability and bone regenerative capacity.
- Basic research on calcification regulatory factors and bone regeneration using biological and synthetic polymer carriers applying biomineralization.
- Investigating osteoblasts and myoblasts based on micro and nano manipulation in cell culture techniques from a tissue engineering viewpoint.
- Development of new drug and gene delivery methods using synthetic calcium phosphate and the application of these methods to bone regeneration treatment.
- Suzuki O, Hamai R, Sakai S. The material design of octacalcium phosphate bone substitute: increased dissolution and osteogenecity. Acta Biomater 2023, in press. DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2022.12.046
- Xiao L, Shiwaku Y, Hamai R, Baba K, Tsuchiya K, Imazato S, Sasaki K, Suzuki O. Osteogenic capacity of octacalcium phosphate involving macrophage polarization. J Biomed Mater Res A 2022, in press. DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.37484
- Hamada S, Mori Y, Shiwaku Y, Hamai R, Tsuchiya K, Baba K, Oizumi I, Kanabuchi R, Miyatake N, Aizawa T, Suzuki O. Octacalcium phosphate/gelatin composite (OCP/Gel) enhances bone repair in a critical-sized trans-cortical femoral defect rat model. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2022, 480:2043-2055. DOI: 10.1097/CORR.0000000000002257
- Okuyama K, Shiwaku Y, Hamai R, Mizoguchi T, Tsuchiya K, Takahashi T, Suzuki O. Differentiation of committed osteoblast progenitors by octacalcium phosphate compared to calcium-deficient hydroxyapatite in Lepr-cre/Tomato mouse tibia. Acta Biomater 2022, 142:332-344. DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2022.02.016
- Koyama S, Hamai R, Shiwaku Y, Kurobane T, Tsuchiya K, Takahashi T, Suzuki O. Angio-osteogenic capacity of octacalcium phosphate co-precipitated with copper gluconate in rat calvaria critical-sized defect. Sci Technol Adv Mater 2022, 23:120-139. DOI: 10.1080/14686996.2022.2035193 (Open Access)
- Hamai R, Sakai S, Shiwaku Y, Anada T, Tsuchiya K, Ishimoto T, Nakano T, Suzuki O. Octacalcium phosphate crystals including a higher density dislocation improve its materials osteogenecity. Appl Mater Today 2022, 26:101279. DOI: 10.1016/j.apmt.2021.101279 (Open Access) ※Press release
- Saito S, Hamai R, Shiwaku Y, Hasegawa T, Sakai S, Tsuchiya K, Sai Y, Iwama R, Amizuka N, Takahashi T, Suzuki O. Involvement of distant octacalcium phosphate scaffolds in enhancing early differentiation of osteocytes during bone regeneration. Acta Biomater 2021, 129:309-322. DOI: 10.1016/j.actbio.2021.05.017
- Ozaki H, Hamai R, Shiwaku Y, Sakai S, Tsuchiya K, Suzuki O. Mutual chemical effect of autograft and octacalcium phosphate implantation on enhancing intramembranous bone regeneration. Sci Technol Adv Mater 2021, 22:345-362. DOI: 10.1080/14686996.2021.1916378 (Open Access)
- Suzuki O, Shiwaku Y, Hamai R. Octacalcium phosphate bone substitute materials: Comparison between properties of biomaterials and other calcium phosphate materials. Dent Mater J 2020, 39:187-199. DOI: 10.4012/dmj.2020-001 (Open Access)
- Kawai T, Kamakura S, Matsui K, Fukuda M, Takano H, Iino M, Ishikawa S, Kawana H, Soma T, Imamura E, Kizu H, Michibata A, Asahisa I, Miuram K, Nakamura N, Kibe T, Suzuki O, Takahashi T. Clinical study of octacalcium phosphate and collagen composite in pral and maxillofacial surger. J Tissue Eng 2020, 11:1-15. DOI: 10.1177/2041731419896449 (Open Access)