Rehabilitation DentistryCraniofacial Development and Tissue Biology
Listed below are the themes of research we (in Craniofacial Development and Tissue Biology) perform. Our research is closely related to dentistry and focuses on bones and teeth. We also do our best to raise our students to be highly specialized professionals in dentistry by holding lectures on the human body, oral cavity and structure of teeth tissue.
(1) Research on the development, repair and regeneration of bones and teeth. A modified version of basic biological phenomena seen in an early development stage is used during the process of tissue repair and regeneration. We aim to identify the shared and unique traits of the two processes.
(2) Bones and teeth have abundant extracellular matrices. Extracellular matrix controls the basis of tissue differentiation and determines the speciality of differentiated tissues. Under the assumption they impact tissue differentiation, we research what functions the various molecules in extracellular matrix have, and when, where and how they work.
(3) We research the phenomenon of the hardening of teeth and bones - calcification. Calcification occurs when the crystals of calcium phosphate deposit on extracellular matrix. We seek to identify the roles of cells and extracellular matrix in the process of calcification.
Prof. Yasuyuki Sasano,
Topics of Research
- Development, regeneration and healing of bones and teeth
- Regulatory mechanisms of calcification
- Remodeling of extracellular matrices in calcified tissues
- Regulatory mechanisms of extracellular matrices on cell differentiation in calcified tissues
- Yang MC, Nakamura M, Mayanagi M, Sasano Y (2023) Immunohistochemical characterization of the mandibular condyle for type I and II collagen, aggrecan, MMP-9, and MMP-13 in MMP-2-deficient mice. Biomedical Research-Tokyo, in press.
- Kageyama Y, Nakamura M, Igari Y, Yamaguchi S, Oguchi A, Murakawa Y, Hattori Y, Sasano Y (2022) Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-3 and -10 is up-regulated in the periodontal tissues of aged mice. Journal of Periodontal Research 57(4):733-741.
- Nakamura M, Yang MC, Ashida K, Mayanagi M, Sasano Y (2022) Calcification and resorption of mouse Meckel's cartilage analyzed by von Kossa and tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase histochemistry and scanning electron microscopy/energy-dispersive X-ray spectrometry. Anatomical Science International 97(2):213-220.
- Miyuki Mayanagi, Megumi Nakamura, Akiko Henmi, Yasuyuki Sasano (2022) The visualization of the mineral and protein distribution in the same histological sections of rat calcified growth plate cartilage.
Journal of Oral Biosciences 64(4):461-464
- Li X., Nakamura M., Tian W, Sasano Y (2021) Application of cryopreservation to tooth germ transplantation for root development and tooth eruption. Scientific Reports 2021 May 4;11(1):9522.
- Caiyu L, Nakamura M, Mayanagi M, Kayaba A, Sasano Y (2021) Three-dimensional visualization of osteoclasts in embryonic mouse mandibles using SEM array tomography. Journal of Oral Biosciences 63(4):401-407.
- Nakamura M, Aoyama N, Yamaguchi S, Sasano Y (2021) Expression of tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase and cathepsin K during osteoclast differentiation in developing mouse mandibles. Biomedical Research-Tokyo 42(1) 13-21.
- Sasano Y, Nakamura M, Henmi A, Okata H, Suzuki O, Kayaba A, Mayanagi M (2019) Degradation of extracellular matrices propagates calcification during development and healing in bones and teeth. Journal of Oral Biosciences 61:149-156.
- Otake Y, Nakamura M, Henmi A, Takahashi T, Sasano Y (2018) Experimental Comparison of the Performance of Cutting Bone and Soft Tissue between Piezosurgery and Conventional Rotary Instruments. Scientific Reports 2018 Nov 21;8(1):17154.
- Henmi A, Okata H, Mikami Y, Sasano Y (2017) Calcification in rat developing mandibular bone demonstrated by whole mount staining, micro-computed tomography and scanning electron microscopy with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy. Biomedical Research-Tokyo 38(5): 277–284.
- Henmi A, Okata H, Anada T, Yoshinari M, Mikami Y, Suzuki O, Sasano Y (2016) Bone matrix calcification during embryonic and postembryonic rat calvarial development assessed by SEM-EDX, XRD and FTIR. J Bone Miner Metab 34:41–50.
- Okata H, Nakamura M, Henmi A, Yamaguchi S, Mikami Y, Shimauchi H, Sasano Y (2015) Calcification during bone healing in a standardised rat calvarial defect assessed by micro-CT and SEM-EDX. Oral Diseases 21: 74-82.