Community Social DentistryCraniofacial Anomalies
Our division is a clinical dentistry field specializing in research on the diagnosis and treatment of craniofacial anomalies, including cleft lip and palate.
Together with members from other departments in and outside our hospital, a special team performs treatment of abnormal occlusion and jaw deformities caused by congenital anomalies of craniofacial area, including cleft lip and palate.
The clinic of our department has been accredited by the Japanese Orthodontic Society as a training institute for orthodontists.
Prof. Kaoru Igarashi,
Associate Prof. (TU Hospital) Kazuaki Nishimura,
Topics of Research
- Research on the diagnosis and treatment of craniofacial anomalies, including cleft lip and palate
- Research on the role of immune cells in osteoclastogenesis
- Research on growth and development of children with cleft lip and palate
- Objective evaluation of oral sensation with somatosensory evoked magnetic fields
- Development of a new anti-inflammatory bisphosphonate that also promote bone formation
- Tsurumi Y, Nishimura K, Shimizu M, Imai Y, Igarashi K. Pilot study of factors contributing to canine impaction after secondary alveolar bone grafting in unilateral cleft lip and palate patients. Scientific Report 2022;12(1):8558 (10 pages).
- Satomi K, Nishimura K, Igarashi K. Semaphorin 3A protects against alveolar bone loss during orthodontic tooth movement in mice with periodontitis. Journal of Periodontal Research 2022;57(5):991-1002.
- Kitayama C, Shimada E, Hihara H, Kanno A, Nakasato N, Imai Y, Sato A, Kawashima R, Igarashi K, Kanetaka H. Magnetoencephalographic evaluation of repaired lip sensation in patients with cleft lips. PLOS ONE 2022;17(9):e0274405 (10 pages).
- Shimada E, Kanetaka H, Yamauchi K, Takahashi T, Nochioka K, Igarashi K. Rationale and design for efficacy and safety evaluation of Bone-Anchored Maxillary Protraction (BAMP) for patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate with skeletal anterior crossbite: a single-arm, open-label, non-randomized prospective study protocol. BMJ Open 2022;12(9):e061831 (8 pages).
- Tsuchiya S, Tsuchiya M, Momma H, Aida J, Nagatomi R, Yaegashi N, Arima T, Igarashi K, the Japan Environment and Children’s Study Group. Neurodevelopmental trajectories in children with cleft lip and palate: A longitudinal study based on the Japan Environment and Children’s Study. European Journal of Oral Sciences 2022;130(2):e12857 (9 pages).
- Suzuki K, Takeyama S, Murakami S, Nagaoka M, Chiba M, Igarashi K, Shinoda H. Structure-dependent effects of bisphosphonates on inflammatory responses in cultured neonatal mouse calvaria. Antioxidants (Special Issue; Feature Papers) 2020;9(6):503 (18 pages).
- Kanzaki H, Imai Y, Nakajo T, Daimaruya T, Sato A, Tachi M, Nunomura Y, Itagaki Y, Nishimura K, Kochi S, Igarashi K. Midfacial changes through anterior maxillary distraction osteogenesis in patients with cleft lip and palate. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 2017;28(4):1057-1062.