Innovative Liaison DentistryCo-Creative Dentistry
Our major researches are focus on translational research and regulatory science based on interdisciplinary research, industry-government-academia collaboration research with a view to developing human resources who can take a broad and interdisciplinary overview of oral science through integrated knowledge education.
Specifically, through interdisciplinary research, we have developed advanced medical materials such as nickel-free shape memory alloys, bioabsorbable metallic glasses, and visible light-responsive titanium oxide, and have applied them to various innovative medical devices and materials. In addition, in collaboration with regulatory authorities such as the Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency (PMDA), we are also engaged in research on regulatory science, such as the formulation of international and domestic guidelines for various medical devices and materials.
Our division operates the "Division of Advanced Dental Science and Technology" as a collaborative course at the Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, and staff and students from various backgrounds such as engineering, medicine, pharmacy, and literature are enrolled as well as those from the dentistry. We are also promoting interdisciplinary research and industry-government-academia collaboration research.
Cranial suture expander using newly developed nickel-free shape memory alloy
(Upper figure) Application of expanding force to the rat parietal sagittal suture
(Lower figure) Micro CT image (2 weeks after application): The suture enlargement and bone addition were confirmed.
Prof. Hiroyasu Kanetaka,
Topics of Research
- Translational research on medical device / material development
- Regulatory science through industry-government-academia collaboration
- Formulation of international and domestic guidelines for various medical devices and materials
- Development of advanced medical device / material through interdisciplinary research
- Development of medical system applying the latest AI technology
- Development of new functional food through industry-academia-government collaboration
- Brain function analysis for oral functions
- Application of next-generation synchrotron radiation to the dental field
- Chigama H, Kanetaka H, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kawashita M: Indirect cytotoxicity evaluations of antibacterial raw silk fabric doped with calcium, copper, and zinc on fibroblasts and osteoblasts. J Biomater Appl: 2022. (in press)
- Li K, Liang L, Du P, Cai Z, Xiang T, Kanetaka H, Wu H, Xie G: Mechanical properties and corrosion resistance of powder metallurgical Mg-Zn-Ca/Fe bulk metal glass composites for biomedical application. J Mater Sci Technol 103: 73-83, 2022.
- Toriyabe A, Chiua W T, Umise A, Tahara M, Goto K, Kanetaka H, Hanawa T, Hosoda H: Mechanical property enhancement of the Ag–tailored Au–Cu–Al shape memory alloy via the ductile phase toughening. Intermetallics 139: 107349, 2021.
- Yamaguchi M, Ma T, Tadaki D, Hirano-Iwata A, Watanabe Y, Kanetaka H, Fujimori H, Takemoto E, Niwano M: Bactericidal activity of bulk nanobubbles through active oxygen species generation. Langmuir 37(32): 9883–9891, 2021.
- Wang Y, Yoshida Y, Kamiie J, Shiwaku Y, Suzuki O, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kanetaka H, Yokoi T, Kawashita M: Proteomic identification of serum proteins to induce osteoconductivity of hydroxyapatite. Dent Mater J 40(6): 1428–1436, 2021.
- Shibata M, Kanetaka H, Furuya M, Yokota K, Ogawa T, Kawashita M: Cytotoxicity evaluation of iron nitride nanoparticles for biomedical applications. J Biomed Mater Res 109(10): 1784-1791, 2021.
- Kubota M, Yokoi T, Ogawa T, Saito S, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kanetaka H, Jeyadevan B, Kawashita M: In-vitro heat-generating and apatite-forming abilities of PMMA bone cement containing TiO2 and Fe3O4. Ceram Int 47(9): 12292–12299, 2021.
- Kamitakahara M, Ishii A, Matsubara H, Kawashita M, Furuya M, Kanetaka H: Fabrication and evaluation of ascorbic acid phosphate-loaded spherical porous hydroxyapatite/octacalcium phosphate granules. Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan 129(1): 60-65, 2021.
- Yamaguchi M, Abe H, Teng M, Tadaki D, Hirano-Iwata A, Kanetaka H, Watanabe Y, Niwano M: Bactericidal activity of TiO2 nanotube thin films on Si by photocatalytic generation of active oxygen species. Langmuir 36(42): 12668-12677, 2020.
- Kubota M, Yokoi T, Ogawa T, Saito S, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kanetaka H, Jeyadevan B, Kawashita M: Setting behavior, mechanical properties, and heat generation under AC magnetic fields of Fe3O4/TiO2/PMMA composite bone cement. Medical devices & sensors 3(6): e10114, 2020.
- Kato T, Sekiguchi Y, Honda K, Izumi S, Kanetaka, H: Comparison of handrail reaction force between two different handrails during sit-to-stand movement in the elderly. Clin Biomech 80: 105130, 2020.
- Sekiguchi Y, Honda K, Phakdepiboon T, Jinde M, Kato T, Kanetaka H, Izumi S: Effects of shelf bar assistance on kinetic control during sit-to-stand in healthy young and elderly subjects Journal of Biomechanics. J Biomech 106: 109822, 2020.
- Sasaki S, Zheng Y, Mokudai T, Kanetaka H, Tachikawa M, Kanzaki M, Kaneko T: Continuous release of O2−/ONOO− in plasma-exposed HEPES-buffered saline promotes TRP channel-mediated uptake of a large cation. Plasma Processes and Polymers 17(10): e1900257, 2020.
- Chigama H, Yokoi T, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kanetaka H, Kawashita M: Apatite formation and bacterial growth on raw silk fabric heated in argon gas. J Mater Sci Mater Med 31(49): 31-49, 2020.
- Kamezawa C, Numano T, Kawabata Y, Kanetaka H, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kato H, Yoneyama A, Hyodo,K, Yashiro W: X-ray elastography by visualizing propagating shear waves. Jpn. Appl. Phys. Express 13(4): 042004, 2020.
- Kawashita M, Ueno S, Handa S, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kanetaka H.: In vitro evaluation of doxorubicin-eluting porous titania microspheres for transcatheter arterial chemoembolization. J. Asian Ceram. Soc. 8:10-20, 2020.
- Iwatsu M, Kanetaka H, Mokudai T, Ogawa T, Kawashita M, Sasaki K: Visible light-induced photocatalytic and antibacterial activity of N-doped TiO2.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 108(2): 451-459, 2020.
- Hihara H, Kanetaka H, Kanno A, Shimada E, Koeda S, Kawashima R, Nakasato N, Sasaki K: Somatosensory evoked magnetic fields of periodontal mechanoreceptors. Heliyon 6(1): e03244, 2020.
- Chigama H, Kanetaka H, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kawashita M: Evaluation of apatite-forming ability and antibacterial activity of raw silk fabrics doped with metal ions. Mater Trans 60(5): 808-814, 2019.
- Xie G, Kanetaka H, Kato H, Qin F, Wang W: Porous Ti-based bulk metallic glass with excellent mechanical properties and good biocompatibility. Intermetallics 105: 153-162, 2019.
- Kawashita M, Iwabuchi Y, Suzuki K, Furuya M, Yokota K, Kanetaka H: Surface structure and in vitro apatite-forming ability of titanium doped with various metals. Colloids Surf A Physicochem Eng Asp 555: 558-564, 2018.
- Kanetaka H, Mokudai T, Xie G: Large-size biodegradable Ca-Mg-Zn bulk metallic glass for medical use developed by spark plasma sintering. Tohoku Univ. Dent. J. 36/37: 17-23, 2018.
- Koyama S, Kanetaka H, Sagehashi Y, Sasaki K, Sato N: Availability of cosmetic treatment using novel cosmetics-based material on patients with craniofacial concavity. J Prosthodont Res 62(3), 379-382, 2018.
- Hashimoto M, Ogawa T, Kitaoka S, Muto S, Furuya M, Kanetaka H, Abe M, Yamashita H: Control of surface potential and hydroxyapatite formation on TiO2 scales containing nitrogen-related defects. Acta Mater 155: 379-385, 2018.
- Kanetaka H, Liu G, Li Z, Miyazaki T, Furuya M, Kudo T, Kawashita M: TiO2 microspheres containing magnetic nanoparticles for intra-arterial hyperthermia. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 105B (8): 2308-2314, 2017.
- Tominami K, Kanetaka H, Sasaki S, Mokudai T, Kaneko T, Niwano Y: Cold atmospheric plasma enhances osteoblast differentiation. PLoS ONE 12(7): e0180507, 2017.
- Hihara H, Kanetaka H, Kanno A, Koeda S, Nakasato N, Kawashima R, Sasaki K: Evaluating age-related change in lip somatosensation using somatosensory evoked magnetic fields. PLoS ONE 12(6): e0179323, 2017.
- Osaki Y, Hashi S, Yabukami S, Kanetaka H, Ishiyama K: Wireless magnetic position-detection system with four excitation coils. IEEE Sens J 17(14): 4412-4419, 2017.
- Sekiguchi Y, Kato T, Honda K, Kanetaka H, Izumi SI: Effects of grab bar on utilized friction and dynamic stability when elderly people enter the bathtub. Clin Biomech 47: 7-13, 2017.
- Tominami K, Kanetaka H, Kudo T, Sasaki S, Kaneko T: Apoptotic effects on cultured cells of atmospheric-pressure plasma produced using various gases. Jpn J Appl Phys 55(1S): 01AF03, 2016.
- Hashimoto M, Kitaoka S, Kanetaka H: Effect of surface charge of TiO2 particles on hydroxyapatite formation in simulated body fluid. Biomed Mater 27(6): 2409-2415, 2016.
- Xiea G, Takada H, Kanetaka H: Development of high performance MgFe alloy as potential biodegradable materials. Mater Sci Eng A Struct Mater 671: 48-53, 2016.
- Yamauchi Y, Nogami S, Tanaka K, Shimizu Y, Kanetaka H, Takahashi T: The effect of decortication for periosteal expansion osteogenesis using shape memory alloy mesh device. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 17(S2): e376-384, 2015.
- Liu G, Kawashita M, Li Z, Miyazaki T, Kanetaka H: Sol–gel synthesis of magnetic TiO2 microspheres and characterization of their in vitro heating ability for hyperthermia treatment of cancer. J Sol-Gel Sci Technol 75(1): 90-97, 2015.
- Yabukami S, Takahashi K, Ozawa T, Fujioka O, Nagano T, Hashi S, Kanetaka H: Tracking system for magnetic wireless marker using field programmable gate array. J Magn Soc Jpn 39: 156-160, 2015.
- Nunome S, Kanetaka H, Kudo T, Endoh K, Hosoda H, Igarashi K: In vitro evaluation of biocompatibility of Ti-Mo-Sn-Zr superelastic alloy. J Biomater Appl 30(1): 119-130, 2015.