Center for Advanced Stem Cell and Regenerative ResearchCenter for Advanced Stem Cell and Regenerative Research
The Center for Advanced Stem Cell and Regenerative Research was established at the Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry in April 2015. Our goals are to develop technology for cutting-edge and next-generation dental and oral regenerative medicine.
The center consists of the following two divisions: the “Regenerative Medicine Research Unit” and “Regenerative Medicine Promotion Unit.” We are aiming to enhance technological development in basic and translational research applicable to clinical dentistry. The members are comprised of a panel of basic and clinical experts conducting original and interdisciplinary research beyond the boundaries of existing concepts and frameworks.
Director: Dr. Hiroshi Egusa, Professor
Prof. Masahiro Saito,
Prof. Osamu Suzuki,
Prof. Satoshi Fukumoto,
Prof. (Chair) Hiroshi Egusa,DDS, PhD, FRCPath
JSPS Research Fellow Seira Hoshikawa,DDS, PhD
Graduate Student Mitsuki Chiba,DDS
Topics of Research
- Periodontal tissue regeneration using human adipose-derived stem cell (ASC)
- iPS and mesenchymal stem cell-based oral tissue engineering
- Tissue regeneration with stem cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth (SHED)
- Bone regeneration using octa-calcium phosphate (OCP)
- Molecular mechanism of bone regeneration
- Regulatory mechanism of oral cancer development
- Watahiki A, Hoshikawa S, Chiba M, Egusa H, Fukumoto S, Inuzuka H: Deficiency of lipin2 results in enhanced proinflammatory response and osteoclast formation in macrophages. Int J Mol Sci, 22(6): 2893, 2021.
- Limraksasin P, Okawa H, Zhang M, Kondo T, Osathanon T, Pavasant P, Egusa H: Size-optimized micro-space culture facilitates differentiation of mouse induced pluripotent stem cells into osteoid-rich bone constructs. Stem Cells Int, 7082679, 2020.
- Sato N, Handa K, Venkataiah VS, Hasegawa T, Njuguna MM, Yahata Y, Saito M: Comparison of the vertical bone defect healing abilities of carbonate apatite, β-tricalcium phosphate, hydroxyapatite and bovine-derived heterogeneous bone. Dent Mater J. 39(2):309-318. 2020.
- Baba K, Shiwaku Y, Hamai R, Mori Y, Anada T, Tsuchiya K, Oizumi I, Miyatake N, Itoi E, Suzuki O. Chemical stability-sensitive osteoconductive performance of octacalcium phosphate bone substitute in an ovariectomized rat tibia defect. ACS Appl Bio Mater 3(3): 1444-1458, 2020.
- Suzuki O, Shiwaku Y, Hamai R. Octacalcium phosphate bone substitute materials: Comparison between properties of biomaterials and other calcium phosphate materials. Dent Mater J 39(2): 187-199, 2020.
- Kawai T, Kamakura S, Matsui K, Fukuda M, Takano H, Iino M, Ishikawa S, Kawana H, Soma T, Imamura E, Kizu H ,Michibata A, Asahisa I, Miura K, Nakamura N, Kibe T, Suzuki O, Takahashi T. Clinical study of octacalcium phosphate and collagen composite in oral and maxillofacial surgery. J Tissue Eng. 11: 1-15, 2020.
- Venkataiah VS, Handa K, Njuguna MM, Hasegawa T, Maruyama K, Nemoto E, Yamada S, Sugawara S, Lu L, Takedachi M, Murakami S, Okura H, Matsuyama A, Saito M: Periodontal Regeneration by Allogeneic Transplantation of Adipose Tissue Derived Multi-Lineage Progenitor Stem Cells in vivo. Sci Rep. 9(1):921, 2019.
- Watahiki A, Shimizu K, Hoshikawa S, Chiba M, Kitamura H, Egusa H, Fukumoto S, Inuzuka H: Lipin-2 degradation elicits a proinflammatory gene signature in macrophages. Lipin-2 degradation elicits a proinflammatory gene signature in macrophages. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 524(2):477-483, 2020.
- Limraksasin P, Kondo T, Zhang M, Okawa H, Osathanon T, Pavasant P, Egusa H: In Vitro Fabrication of Hybrid Bone/Cartilage Complex Using Mouse Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Int J Mol Sci, 21(2), 2020.
- Ma Y, Cui D, Xiong X, Inuzuka H, Wei W, Sun Y, North BJ, Zhao Y: SCFβ-TrCP ubiquitinates CHK1 in an AMPK-dependent manner in response to glucose deprivation. Mol Oncol, 13(2):307-321, 2019.
- Yamada M, Watanabe J, Ueno T, Ogawa T, Egusa H: Cytoprotective Preconditioning of Osteoblast-Like Cells with N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine for Bone Regeneration in Cell Therapy. Int J Mol Sci, 20(20), 2019.
- Suzuki O. Evolution of octacalcium phosphate biomaterials. In Chapter 1, Octacalcium Phosphate Biomaterials, pp.1-15. Edits: O Suzuki, G Insley. Woodhead Publishing Series in Biomaterials, Elsevier. 2019.
- Sato T, Anada T, Hamai R, Shiwaku Y, Tsuchiya K, Sakai S, Baba K, Sasaki K, Suzuki O. Culture of hybrid spheroids composed of calcium phosphate materials and mesencymal stem cells on an oxygen-permeable culture device to predict in vivo bone forming capability. Acta Biomater 88: 477-490, 2019.
- Kurobane K, Shiwaku Y, Anada T, Hamai R, Tsuchiya K, Baba K, Iikubo M, Takahashi T, Suzuki O. Angiogenesis involvement by octacalcium phosphate-gelatin composite-driven bone regeneration in rat calvaria critical-sized defect. Acta Biomater 88: 514-526, 2019.
- Shiwaku Y, Tsuchiya K, Xiao L, Suzuki O. Effect of calcium phosphate phases affecting the cosstalk between osteoblasts and osteoclast in vitro. J Biomed Mater Res A 107(5): 1001-1013, 2019.
- Watanabe J, Yamada M, Niibe K, Zhang M, Kondo T, Ishibashi M, Egusa H: Preconditioning of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells with N-acetyl-L-cysteine enhances bone regeneration via reinforced resistance to oxidative stress. Biomaterials, 185:25-38, 2018.
- Huang LY, Zhao J, Chen H, Wan L, Inuzuka H, Guo J, Fu X, Zhai Y, Lu Z, Wang X, Han ZG, Sun Y, Wei W: SCFFBW7-mediated degradation of Brg1 suppresses gastric cancer metastasis. Nat Commun, 9(1):3569, 2018.
- Ci Y, Li X, Chen M, Zhong J, North BJ, Inuzuka H, He X, Li Y, Guo J, Dai X: SCFβ-TRCP E3 ubiquitin ligase targets the tumor suppressor ZNRF3 for ubiquitination and degradation. Protein Cell, 9(10):879-889, 2018.
- Shimizu K, Nihira NT, Inuzuka H, Wei W: Physiological functions of FBW7 in cancer and metabolism. Cell Signal, 46:15-22, 2018.
- Sai Y, Shiwaku Y, Anada T, Tsuchiya K, Takahashi T, Suzuki O. Capacity of octacalcium phosphate to promote osteoblastic differentiation toward osteocytes in vitro. Acta Biomater 69:362-371, 2018.
- Iwamatsu-Kobayashi Y, Abe S, Fujieda Y, Orimoto A, Kanehira M, Handa K, Venkataiah VS, Zou W, Ishikawa M, Saito M: Metal ions from S-PRG filler have the potential to prevent periodontal disease. Clin Exp Dent Res, 3(4):126-133, 2017.
- Niibe K, Zhang M, Nakazawa K, Morikawa S, Nakagawa T, Matsuzaki Y, Egusa H: The potential of enriched mesenchymal stem cells with neural crest cell phenotypes as a cell source for regenerative dentistry. Jpn Dent Sci Rev, 53(2):25-33, 2017.
- Nihira NT, Ogura K, Shimizu K, North BJ, Zhang J, Gao D, Inuzuka H, Wei W: Acetylation-dependent regulation of MDM2 E3 ligase activity dictates its oncogenic function. Sci Signal, 10(466), 2017.
- Masuda T, Maruyama H, Arai F, Anada T, Tsuchiya K, Fukuda T, Suzuki O. Application of an indicator-immobilized-gel-sheet for measuring the pH surrounding a calcium phosphate-based biomaterial. J Biomater Appl 31(9): 1296-1304, 2017.
- Okawa H, Kayashima H, Sasaki J, Miura J, Kamano Y, Kosaka Y, Imazato S, Yatani H, Matsumoto T, Egusa H. Scaffold-Free Fabrication of Osteoinductive Cellular Constructs Using Mouse Gingiva-Derived Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Stem Cells Int, 2016:6240794, 2016.
- Tadaki M, Anada T, Shiwaku Y, Nakamura T, Nakamura M, Kojima M, Arai T, Fukumoto S, Suzuki O. A 3D culture model study monitoring differentiation of dental epithelial cells into ameloblast-like cells. RSC Adv 6: 62109-62118, 2016
- Hirayama B, Anada T, Shiwaku Y, Miyatake N, Tsuchiya K, Nakamura M, Takahashi T, Suzuki O. Immune cell response and subsequent bone formation induced by implantation of octacalcium phosphate in a rat tibia defect RSC Adv 6: 57475-57484, 2016
- Kamoya T, Anada T．Shiwaku Y, Takano-Yamamoto T, Suzuki O. An oxygen-permeable spheroid culture chip (Oxy chip) promotes osteoblastic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. Sens Actuators: B Chem 232: 75-83, 2016
- Anada T, Sato T, Kamoya T, Shiwaku Y, Tsuchiya K, Takano-Yamamoto T, Sasaki K, Suzuki O. Bioactivity of octacalcium phosphate utilizing osteoblastic cell aggregates in a spheroid culture device. Regen Ther. 3: 58-62, 2016.