Bio-Dental Engineering (Collaborative Department)Bio-Dental Engineering
Teeth are worked enough when the root of a tooth is surrounded by intact bone tissue. If the bone around the teeth were broken by suffering oral and dental diseases, such as periodontal diseases, congenital anomalies, and jaw tumors, several problems including masticatory disturbance would be evoked.
The division aims to regenerate bone that was lost by oral and dental diseases with applying biomaterials, and recover the functional disturbances. Furthermore, the division has managed both basic and applied research with considering a low-burden treatment for patients.
The Bio-Dental Engineering is currently cooperating with the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Craniofacial Function Engineering to conduct clinical research on octacalcium phosphate and collagen (OCP/Col) composites, a bone regenerative material developed at Tohoku University. We are working to contribute to society through research connecting clinics and the laboratory and education of associated specialists.
Prof. Shinji Kamakura,
Topics of Research
- Bone Regeneration by Octacalcium Phosphate Collagen Composites (OCP/Collagen)
- Clinical Research on OCP/Collagen
- Establishment of a New Animal Model for Bone Regeneration
- Research for Quantification of Regenerated Bone Tissue
- Kajii F, Iwai A, Tanaka H, Matsui K, Kawai T, Kamakura S. Single-dose local administration of teriparatide with a octacalcium phosphate collagen composite enhances bone regeneration in a rodent critical-sized calvarial defect. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater: in press, doi: 10.1002/jbm.b.33993. 2017
- Kajii F, Iwai A, Tanaka H, Matsui K, Kawai T, Kamakura S. Influence of electron beam irradiation doses on bone regeneration by octacalcium phosphate collagen composites. J Tissue Eng Reger Med 12:e1186–e1194, 2018
- Kawai T, Suzuki O, Matsui K, Tanuma Y, Takahashi T, Kamakura S. Octacalcium phosphate collagen composite facilitates bone regeneration of large mandibular bone defect in human. J Tissue Eng Reger Med 11: 1641-1647, 2017
- Kanda N, Matsui K, Kawai T, Edamatsu H, Tanuma Y, Suzuki O, Takahashi T, Kamakura S. Implantation of octacalcium phosphate collagen composites (OCP/Col) after extraction of canine deciduous teeth achieved undisturbed permanent tooth eruption. Arch Oral Biol 79: 179-186, 2016
- Kawai T, Echigo S, Matsui K, Tanuma Y, Takahashi T, Suzuki O, Kamakura S. First clinical application of octacalcium phosphate collagen composite in human bone defect. Tissue Eng Part A: 20: 1136-1141, 2014