Rehabilitation DentistryAdvanced Prosthetic Dentistry
The research and education of this division cover wide range of prosthodontic fields involving biomechanics, mechanobiology, stomatognathic function, and biomaterials. Our purpose is to restore, reconstruct and maintain the form and function of stomatognathic system. We are developing new treatment technology involving the use of implants, transplants, regenerative techniques and reconstructive techniques in addition to conventional dental prosthetic techniques. We also conduct various activities for biological, epidemiological and biomaterial researches based on biomechanics and mechanobiology at the interfaces between prostheses, biomaterials and the living body. We are developing various novel biomaterials, technologies and equipment collaborated with other disciplines in Tohoku University and other organizations. We hope to contribute the good quality of life (QOL) for people.
Prof. (Chair) Hiroshi Egusa,
Associate Prof. Toru Ogawa,
Topics of Research
- Biomechanics and mechanobiology for stomatognathic morphology and function based on in vivo measurements and evaluation
- Studies on transplantation, regeneration and construction for prosthodontics, implantology and maxillofacial rehabilitation
- Studies on development and clinical application of novel biomaterials and creation of novel interfaces for prosthodontics, implantology and maxillofacial rehabilitation
- Developmental and translational research for novel dental treatment technology and dental equipment based upon multi-disciplinary research and academia-industrial collaboration
- Studies on clinical outcome of prosthodontics, implantology and maxillofacial rehabilitation
- Sato T, Anada T, Hamai R, Shiwaku Y, Tsuchiya K, Sakai S, Baba K, Sasaki K, Suzuki O. Culture of hybrid spheroids composed of calcium phosphate materials and mesenchymal stem cells on an oxygen-permeable culture device to predict in vivo bone forming capability. Acta Biomater. 2019 Mar 4. pii: S1742-7061(19)30167-9.
- Luo F, Hong G, Matsui H, Endo K, Wan Q, Sasaki K. Initial osteoblast adhesion and subsequent differentiation on zirconia surfaces are regulated by integrins and heparin-sensitive molecule. Int J Nanomedicine. 2018 Nov 19;13:7657-7667.
- Tenkumo T, Vanegas Sáenz JR, Nakamura K, Shimizu Y, Sokolova V, Epple M, Kamano Y, Egusa H, Sugaya T, Sasaki K. Prolonged release of bone morphogenetic protein-2 in vivo by gene transfection with DNA-functionalized calcium phosphate nanoparticle-loaded collagen scaffolds. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2018 Nov 1;92:172-183.
- Wang S, Ogawa T, Zheng S, Miyashita M, Tenkumo T, Gu Z, Lian W, Sasaki K. The effect of low-magnitude high-frequency loading on peri-implant bone healing and implant osseointegration in Beagle dogs. J Prosthodont Res. 2018 Oct;62(4):497-502.
- Suenaga H, Tamahara T, Dodo M, Murakami T, Sasaki S, Ito K, Jingu K, Koseki T, Sasaki K. Design of the spacer for brachytherapy using (198)Au grain for carcinoma of the tongue as a tool of perioperative oral management. J Prosthodont Res. 2018 Oct;62(4):518-521.
- Miyashita M, Ogawa T, Naito H, Shibamoto A, Wang AS, Shobara K, Sasaki K. Evaluation of implant screw loosening by resonance frequency analysis with triaxial piezoelectric pick-up: in vitro model and in vivo animal study. Clin Oral Investig. 2018 Jun;22(5):2129-2134.
- Yoda N, Zheng K, Chen J, Liao Z, Koyama S, Peck C, Swain M, Sasaki K, Li Q. Biomechanical analysis of bone remodeling following mandibular reconstruction using fibula free flap. Med Eng Phys. 2018 Jun;56:1-8.
- Shibamoto A, Ogawa T, Duyck J, Vandamme K, Naert I, Sasaki K. Effect of high-frequency loading and parathyroid hormone administration on peri-implant bone healing and osseointegration. Int J Oral Sci. 2018 Mar 13;10(1):6.
- Koyama S, Kato H, Harata T, Sato N, Hanawa S, Sasaki K. Evaluation of water absorption properties and fabrication of hollow obturator model using 3D digital dentistry. Dent Mater J. 2018 Jul 29;37(4):521-525.
- Chaweewannakorn C, Tsuchiya M, Koide M, Hatakeyama H, Tanaka Y, Yoshida S, Sugawara S, Hagiwara Y, Sasaki K, Kanzaki M. Roles of IL-1α/β in regeneration of cardiotoxin-injured muscle and satellite cell function. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2018 Jul 1;315(1):R90-R103.
- Yamamoto M, Ogawa T, Yokoyama M, Funaki Y, Shobara K, Shibamoto A, Vanegas Sáenz JR, Sasaki K. Na(18)F accumulates on the compressive side of peri-implant bone under immediate loading. Odontology. 2018 Jul;106(3):232-237.
- Vanegas Sáenz JR, Tenkumo T, Kamano Y, Egusa H, Sasaki K. Amiloride-enhanced gene transfection of octa-arginine functionalized calcium phosphate nanoparticles. PLoS One. 2017 Nov 16;12(11):e0188347. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0188347. eCollection 2017. PubMed PMID: 29145481; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5690608.
- Fukushima A, Mayanagi G, Sasaki K, Takahashi N. Corrosive effects of fluoride on titanium under artificial biofilm. J Prosthodont Res. 2018 Jan;62(1):104-109.
- Suzuki T, Ogawa T, Long J, Vanegas Sáenz JR, Miyashita M, Matsuda M, Sasaki K. Periodontal tactile sensation and occlusal loading condition of autotransplanted teeth: A retrospective pilot study. J Prosthodont Res. 2018 Jan;62(1):84-88.
- Long J, Ogawa T, Ito T, Matsuda M, Li W, Yu H, Sasaki K. Effect of bite openings and mandibular protrusion on genioglossus muscle activity in healthy adults with oral appliance. Odontology. 2018 Jan;106(1):90-95.
- Yoda N, Zheng K, Chen J, Li W, Swain M, Sasaki K, Li Q. Bone morphological effects on post-implantation remodeling of maxillary anterior buccal bone: A clinical and biomechanical study. J Prosthodont Res. 2017 Oct;61(4):393-402.
- Han JM, Hong G, Lin H, Shimizu Y, Wu Y, Zheng G, Zhang H, Sasaki K. Biomechanical and histological evaluation of the osseointegration capacity of two types of zirconia implant. Int J Nanomedicine. 2016 Dec 7;11:6507-6516.
- Matsuo Y, Ogawa T, Yamamoto M, Shibamoto A, Sáenz JRV, Yokoyama M, Kanda Y, Toyohara J, Sasaki K. Evaluation of peri-implant bone metabolism under immediate loading using high-resolution Na(18)F-PET. Clin Oral Investig. 2017 Jul;21(6):2029-2037.
- Liu J, Hong G, Wu YH, Endo K, Han JM, Kumamoto H, Wada T, Kato H, Gao P, Sasaki K. A novel method of surface modification by electrochemical deoxidation: Effect on surface characteristics and initial bioactivity of zirconia. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2017 Nov;105(8):2641-2652.